Music Box


Monday, June 16, 2008

of surf, sand and frantic thoughts


Today Rhys and I spent the day at Will Rogers State Beach along with his class. Though it was the last field trip of the year it was also the first time Rhys has had the opportunity to ride on the magic school bus. Boy was he excited! As for myself it's been years since I've had the privileged and I must admit I do not recall the aisles being so narrow, but on the plus side I see that they have now installed seat belts.


In these parts around the month of June we have a phenomenon called June Gloom. It's a dreary fog that if you're lucky will burn off by noon. This is what I was anticipating while packing for the day's activities and so did not prepare for the possibility that Rhys would spend 85% of the time playing chase with the waves. What I mean to say is that mommy did not pack with any forethought. No towel. No swimsuit. But for Rhys this is no problem. He knew exactly what he was doing when he insisted on stripping down to his underwear for use as impromptu swim trunks. Dashing and daring. In the end the kids had a tremendous time and wore themselves out silly.

Since Henry started his summer vacation last Thursday we drove him down to spend a couple of days with Hilary, thus allowing me to go on today's field trip with a guilt free conscience. Only on our way home last night just as we were saying goodbyes did Rhys realize that Henry would be staying with Auntie. He was in a frantic panic! He immediately unbuckled himself and screamed for Henry to "get back in here!" It took Kenny sitting in the backseat beside him to calm him enough for me to drive us home. This morning upon waking he insisted that we go pick Henry up from Aunties!

I'm now frantically tidying things up before our trip up north this weekend. I'm currently in the midst of end of the year gifts for teachers as well as being in charge of photos CDs for parents. It's another agonizing labor of love project. And as soon as all that is done I've got a pile of paperwork to sift through before packing for the wedding; and the joy of looking forward to driving home on our anniversary because the boys have camp the next day.

Google