Music Box


Friday, March 16, 2007

Pre-K School Tea

Kenny, Rhys and I went to the Pre-K tea at the local school today. It was enlightening. Bumped into Kay and little baby Hannah, who was asleep in her stroller. Zach was presenting a song with his kindergarten class. It was quiet a pep rally. Rhys was pretty well behaved occupying himself with stacking a bunch of blocks they had for props on a display, until the first kindergarten class came out.

Once the class was assembled onstage Rhys deciding he wanted to be part of all the glamour and excitement as well, hoisted himself up on to the stage and sat for about a second. Kenny tried his best to get him off the stage but to no avail. Not content to sit he started jumping up and down and zig zagging his way around the stage, all the while the class carried on singing their ditty about the rainforest. There was uncontrollable laughter from many present. It was embarrassing to say the least. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, so I did a little of both.

Afterwards while on a tour of the facilities, our tour guide, Audrey, a volunteer parent told Kenny he should have just left him up there. That is so much easier to say than to do. Our first instinct is to grab him and take him directly home.

Despite all of this I am really glad we made it to the tea. We almost missed it because everyone stayed up past their bedtimes last night watching ’Monster House’ and woke up this morning at 7:20am! Luckily Kenny was able to help me hustle Henry into his uniform, feed him breakfast and drive him to school. Whew!

I had a wonderful conversation with the vice principal Ms. Kee. She was most helpful in supplying me with info, forms and numbers to the LAUSD offices for getting Rhys evaluated for speech delay. I am also trying to get an evaluation through UCLA. I’ve made a bunch of calls and am waiting to hear back from both the LAUSD and UCLA. Laura at UCLA mentioned that because they are so short staffed the first available appointments aren’t until May! So I’m glad I’m taking both approaches. I even got a chance to see Caroline briefly to ask her advice. She’s been super supportive!

Am trying to finish ‘Marie Antoinette’. It’s hard to concentrate with a headache and two boys in the next room who are intermittently fighting. This film is so beautiful to look at, it reminds me of little of a time warped ‘Sex and the City’. Eye candy for sure. I loved ‘The Virgin Suicides’ as well, Sofia Coppola definitely has an eye, and a quiet sensibility. I’d say it’s one of the few non-comedies I could see myself watching again. I think I’m going to have to give ‘Lost in Translation’ another try. Did I mention how much I heart Netflix?

Okay. So I forgot how it was all going to end. I’m glad there wasn’t any gore.’

Google